Thursday, July 01, 2010

Two years ago today I met my kids. After talking to them on the phone the night before, Dave & I went to work anticipating our first meeting. So as not to waste time, we decided to go straight from work and meet up at their foster home. We both pulled up about the same time and as I was parking, I called their foster mom and told her we were here. They walked outside as we walked up. I will never forget seeing them standing there and thinking “those are my kids”. And so began our journey into parenthood. After dinner at Double Dave’s Pizza, we went to the park and played and took tons of pictures. We didn’t want to leave but we knew they needed time to process it all and so did we. They would come to our house the next night and then spend 4th of July weekend with us before going back to their foster home to gather their belongings and say goodbye. On July 9th they moved in and have been here ever since. I’ve tried to imagine what it would be like to move in with someone you’ve only known 9 days. I knew Dave 9 months before we married and moved in together and I choose him. It is a strange experience, but a wonderful one! I can’t even explain how much I love my kids. They are the world to me. I hope that when they look back on their lives they will be grateful for the life they had. I hope they will understand how much we love them. I hope they will find room in their hearts for all their parents – the ones who gave them life, for the ones who cared for them when they needed a safe place to live and for the ones who freely signed our lives away and said we’d take you for eternity!

5 comments:

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

So happy for you, and for those cute kids too! You're an awesome mom!

Kelly said...

very nice post.

MM said...

I'm crying! What a wonderful life you are giving to these kids, you are heroes for sure! Way to go!

Adriana said...

Ah I just checked in and read this and teared right up. You chose them and they chose you back. They will love you more than you can imagine. I have said it once and I will say it again - don't worry about what you can and can't buy them. The most important thing is that you tell them you love them and they know they are a part of the Anderson / Brown family!!!

Amy Jo yates said...

I love your choice of words. That you chose them. We chose to love whether someone is "born-in" or brought-in, love is a choice. God bless and keep you as you continue with wonderful adventure.