I was out late one night in the little town of Quinlan, TX. It had been a long day and I was feeling hungry. Being that it was Quinlan, TX and because I was broke I had my choice of Arby's or McDonalds. There were no Chipotle's in Quinlan.... I decided to go with Arby's because the beef n' chedder sandwich was bring out a hunger, a hunger that I hadn't felt in years..... Anyway, I drove up to the local Arby's and found it to be a walk - in only! Agghhhh! OK, I am still feeling that hunger that you only get for those potato cakes so I went on in to hang with the locals..... As I walk in I smelled the grease and oil of the fryer that hadn't been changed since "41" was President. I thought twice before I ordered.... Would it be good? Would it be as wonderful as the last time? Would it be reheated for the fifth time in a week? OK.... I can do this! So I walked up and said "hi" to the girl at the counter who was missing a few teeth but she did have that metal thing in her tongue.... Good thing that Arby's meat is soft! She talked to me and her voice made a slight "clicking" sound that reminded me of the train station telegraph office at Disneyland...... Oh, back to the story! So I ordered "give me a beef n' chedder, potato cakes and a diet coke, I need to watch my studly figure". She smiled and said "you're not from around here are ya".... I smiled and said "no I'm not young lady" partly because I wanted my food to be right and because I knew that she didn't have a car..... She came back with my food and I grabbed a big hand full of Arby Sauce and went out the door into the night. As I got to the car a big old Cadillac from the 1970's drove up out of nowhere. This is the kind of caddy that is longer then most houses with rims and head light covers! The car comes to a slow stop and the door opens. Amongst the coke bottles and cheeseburger wrappers falling out a tough looking man with red hair emerged from the car. Then the passenger door opens and with a large belch a man empties into the shadows.... A voice I knew from somewhere says "Red, y'all go in there and get me some food, I feel something coming on". The red haired man says "no problem boss" and the voice says "thank you, thank you very much.... Then the voice steps out of the shadows and I saw that it was The King, The King of Rock n' Roll Elvis Presley! Wow, I've seen Santa Clause but this..... in Quinlan! He looked at me a with a curled lip and ketchup dripping down his chin said "what you looking at son, McDonalds is closed and I need something for the road and I don't like the pansy sandwiches that Jared makes at Subway". With that he did a karate chop in the air to overstate his dislikes for Subway. For once in my life I was speechless and just stared. Finally I was able to ask for a quick autograph and picture and then Elvis and Red hoped back into the car and drove off into the night. Before he left he reminded me to treat my "Mommababy" right unlike the way that he had treated Cilla. I asked him where he lived now that Graceland is a museum? He said that he traveled the good ol' USA fighting crime where ever it may be.... Finally I asked him how he could be alive and he said that he believed in only there things... God, Country and Elvis......You go Elvis....

No comments:
Post a Comment