Thursday, May 22, 2008

Jury Duty

After 39 1/2 years on earth I finally got a Jury Summons. Last Monday I got up early (they said parking was free but limited), brought a good book and headed north to the new Collin County courthouse in McKinnney. Got a great parking space - getting there an hour early paid off. I sat in the truck and started a good book that Dave had bought about adopting an other child. I finally got out and waiting with all the other "jurers" until the doors were open. After I got in and went through security I entered a very large room with uncomfortable seats. It took about an hour to overfill the room. And then the true waiting began. After a while the girl came in and asked us not to shot the messenger. She then read the list of names that could leave but had to come back on Wednesday. I wasn't on it! Then she said she was waiting for the other judges to let her know how many of us they needed for the day. She came back a while later and had another list. This list would go directly to a court room. She read that list and I was not on it. As soon as she walked out she was handed another list and she came back to read it. I was not on it. A while later she came with another list. I was not on it. After what seemed like forever she came in to tell us that she was still waiting for the last judge to get back to her. Finally she came back in and said she had heard from the judge and he didn't need any of us and we were free to go. She reminded us that this counted for our jury duty and we would not be called for another 24 months. So then I went shopping, got some lunch and went home and did the dishes. I was actually excited to go back to work the next day!

No comments: