


HAPPY FATHERS DAY!
I would like to get a shout out to all of you Dads out there. I have a lot of love and respect for all of you and I hope to join your ranks soon. I have had a lot of great examples of Dads out there. From my Dad, Step-Dad, Father-in-Law, Granddads etc. I have watched in awe as new Dads take on the role of fatherhood and I am touched by the example of older guys who deal with teenagers, older kids and grand kids! Lastly I have had a lot of great men be "father figures" to me in my life. I do believe that we do not know how much of an influence and example we can be to each other and these men have been a huge influence to me at one time or another in my life. I could use countless examples but to save time and protect the innocent I would just like to share two stories of fatherhood.
The first is about an old friend of mine who did something awesome. His daughter wanted tickets to see Hanna Montana but they were sold out. He and his wife heard on the radio that they were having a "Hanna Montana" look a like contest and the winner would win tickets to see Hanna Montana. So off they went... They had a entry for the girl that looked the most like Hanna Montana, The Mom and... the Dad. At the last minute my friend entered the contest as the one and only Dad who looked the most look Hanna and won! He had to wear a wig and play a guitar just like Hanna would on stage and the crowd went wild! He won and took his little girl to see Hanna Montana in concert!
The second story deals with my Dad. Years ago when I was a teenager I bought a model kit of the USS Enterprise from Star Trek. I did not follow the directions when putting it together and as a result the part that holds up the engines would not stay up. I was very sad about this since I had spent all of my money on this model. I came out to the garage one day to find my Dad (who hated Star Trek) trying to use wood to make the model stay up right. It did not even look right but I appreciated the effort more then anything! I have a lot more stories of my Dad but this one stands out today.
I hope that all of you will say "thank you" to your Dads on Father's day. Remember the good, forget about the bad. They have all done the best that they could do! Happy Father's Day!

2 comments:
That was great. It's so funny because we were nothing but sick of Star Trek our entire childhood. My dad would watch it alllllllll the time.
Happy Father's Day Dave!!! You have been a great role model to many of us too.
Love ya
Dy
Post a Comment