Sunday, July 20, 2008

Trying to pass the test

The testing has begun. "J" is trying to see how much attention he can get and how much he can get away with. After making sure he knew what behaviors were wrong - saying "no" to Mom, calling people stupid and ugly, kicking the walls, throwing pillows and disobeying - we just put him in his bedroom, tell him we love him and leave. It is getting better but I'm sure it will go on for a while. Today at church he didn't want to go to class and started one of his attitudes. I took him out, sat in the hall and tried to ignore him as much as I could. Of course everyone else wanted to say "hi", so he was loving it. Then my miracle worker came by. A 14 yr old girl that is one of the nicest, sweetest girls I know. She started talking to "J" and said lets go to class. So he got up as if he were the most well behaved boy in the world, took her hand and walked into class sat down and she left. After church he saw her again and hugged her. She invited them to come over and go swimming. Anyone who invites them to swim is their best friend. We are adopting "fish". We are looking into swim lessons. Other then the test, we are doing great. We are tired but very happy. We'll see how a full week of work and babysitters goes!! Stay tuned for further adventures of the Texas Andersons!

3 comments:

J said...

Good luck you two! I can't imagine the adjustment for them going from foster care to permanent home with parents. Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

Yeah it's a little harder when you haven't had the time before to work up to their nice little tests they give you. I know you'll do great! Patience lots and lots of patience!

MM said...

Hang in there, you've got a lot of courage taking on 2 who have had so many different parenting styles in their lives already. Stick to your guns, when your're consistant it shows love--even if they don't think it does...if you need a referral for a swim teacher let me know!