Monday, May 11, 2009

DAN, WE WILL MISS YOU!!!

Last night Liz and I heard of the passing of a great friend, Dan Hennessey. Dan goes way back having worked for ZEE Medical in Long Beach, CA before I worked there and he got to know my Dad since they both worked for ZEE at different locations. I ended up in the first aid business like my Dad and after I followed my Dad to another first aid company I had to obey a simple rule that my Dad started. Do not go into Dan Hennessey's accounts and he will not go into yours! After my Dad passed away I got to know Dan better since he had moved into safety training and we would refer each other for business. Dan was a great storyteller and we both had a love for sales, treating your customers as a friend and the first aid/safety business. Basically it was like hanging out with my Dad who I missed. He also looked a lot like my Dad! Dan and Liz and I had fun going to dinner and hanging out. Dan always had a great story and even though you may have heard it a few times it was still fun to hear him tell it. The bonus of knowing Dan was that he was a great cook! More so, he was even better at baking! He made the best cheesecake ever and Liz just loved his pumpkin cheesecake. He also made great big chocolate chip cookies the kind that would take days to eat! Liz liked the fact that he would make "female" cookies i.e. "no nuts". Sadly Dan had problems with diabetes which lead to his toe being removed, then a part of his foot, then his foot and lastly his leg. He was near death time after time but just kept bouncing back! We gave him a hard time and called him "Kick Stand Dan" since he had a fake leg but we were amazed that he just keep going and did not let anything stop him. Later he ended up with kidney failure and still he just kept on working. The last time I saw Dan was the night we moved to Texas from California. We were trying to finish packing last minute things so that we could get on the road. We did not know what to do with our fish so I said "Dan, take these fish and do something with them". Being the good friend that he was and since he had a fish tank he did take them and he took good care of them. Not long after we moved from California Dan and his wife Lynne relocated to Washington state to be closer to children and grand children. I would call him from time to time to see how he was doing. I could not believe that of all things a auto accident returned him home to his Heavenly Father! He leaves behind a great wife and 4 wonderful kids and grand kids and I know that even as I write this he is in heaven telling my Dad stories on how Liz and I are doing! Farewell my friend!
"Safety Dan"
Showing that he can still stand on a fake leg!
And the good one!
Dan and Lynne



2 comments:

Kat said...

Thank you for this beautiful tribute to my Daddy! He always talked about how much fun you guys had together, and I am grateful for your friendship.

Erin said...

Thank you for these wonderful remarks in tribute of his life. We are grateful that he had a friend in you.

I know that you will likely be unable to come but just for your information, services are on Thursday at 11am at the LDS Church in Sumner, WA.

Thanks again!