On May 25th I started a new job. After 14 years in outside sales I am now working with the kids at Ford Middle School as a Cafeteria Monitor for 2 hours a day. After becoming a "stay at home Dad" in January I have looked for ways to both save money and to make extra money for our family. I have been looking for employment that would allow me to bring in extra income and still be home when the kids are home from school so that we do not have to pay for day care. I thought about retail or graveyard work but I wanted to be home on holidays and the summer when the kids were out of school. I started the long process of applying with Allen ISD back in January and finally got a interview in April. It took a while but here I am hanging out with 7th and 8th graders everyday! It is interesting that I have gone from meeting with clients, doing presentations, making cold calls to sweeping, cleaning tables and making sure that the kids line up correctly. It is not a lot of money but I am hoping that it will lead to something else with more hours next school year. As I am doing this everyday I remind myself that our kids are coming home and spending the summer with a parent. Last summer and the first half of the school year was stressful to not only us but the kids as well as we dealt with babysitters and after school care.
On my 3rd day of work one of the other staff members suddenly fell before lunch started. I went to help her up and she started going into a seizure. I immediately moved the tables away from her and stabilized her and had someone get the school nurse. We had to delay lunch and keep the kids out until the paramedics arrived. Not bad for my 3rd day! Everyone was amazed that I handled this so well but I have been fortunate to have a lot of emergency medical training between Boy Scouts and CPS. I only have one more day of work until school starts up again on August 24th but it has been a lot of fun so far!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Super Dave to the rescue! Way to be a good samaritan!
Good thing both of your siblings have seizures so you could show the students and staff who is in charge! You'll be a great addition to the staff, love you big brother!
Congrats on the new job. Sounds perfect for your family. And how exciting with the medical emergency! How does it feel to be so awesome? Oh, hang on...I already know.
Post a Comment