Monday, July 06, 2009
CHANGES
The day before Easter I had hit a brick wall. I was unhappy with my life and I was mad, hopping mad. I had a house, 2 good cars, 2 great kids and a wonderful wife so what could be wrong? After a lot of thought I decided that I needed to work on 3 things. 1. My personal and my families spirituality. 2. Our finances. 3. My weight. I have always fought my weight. It had ballooned in the late 80's to over 300 lbs and I was able to get back in shape (Hey, I wanted girls!) and get down to around 235 lbs. Well, life and marriage had gotten the best of me and by 2003 I was up to 450 lbs! I could not believe it either since they had not found a scale to weigh me on in a long time. I finally found a doctor who helped me get approved for Gastric Bypass Surgery where they make your stomach smaller. At this point I feared for my life so even though the surgery scared me to death I was willing to do it. The surgery was a success and I lost over 100 lbs! The problem was that I felt that I needed to get back to work a quickly as possible. My first aid customers need me, I needed the income also from the DJ work that I was doing. So I did not take the time to really read, study and make lifestyle changes. I just knew that now I could eat the bad foods but just less of it. I was working out but not as much as I should have been. And my back didn't hurt and I could now move without huffing and puffing so I was "satisfied" that I had lost 100 lbs and moved from a size 60 to a size 50. Flash forward to now and I had gained back over 30 lbs. since then from all of this great Texas food! I was still the same size but I was not happy with my weight. I decided then and there to get my weight under control. I made a personal commitment to cut back, cut out and work out. No diets, just using common since when eating. I started small by seeing my doctor and a nutritionist. Turns out that besides my sleep apnea and high blood pressure I also had a high insulin level and bad cholesterol. I started out small working out 3 days a week at one of Allen's city gyms doing both weight lifting and the treadmill. Recently I have also added 2 days of swimming. I have also spent a lot of time studying ways of eating healthier and exercising. So far I am down 30 lbs. and I must always now wear a belt! One of the greatest things that has helped me is the support of friends on Facebook. Sometimes just a little "you can do it" goes a long way. In work ,my best sales managers were positive and motivating and I am finding that is the type of friends and family that I want around me too. My next goal is to get below 300 lbs. and then finally below 240 lbs. I want to be healthy and strong for my family and to just stick around for a long time and I know that can do it!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Dave your the mann for just being able to admit what you have gone through. You are a strong willed man and you can do anything you set you mind to.(just look at the wonderful family you have created together) and together you can conquer all sorts of shit. You will always have friends and family to keep cheering you on and pushing you on.Some friends might kick you when you are down but thats just there way of trying to motavate you and get you bach on you feet.You are such a big man (no pun intended) for not just giving up and sittting back and bitching or balming somebody else for what ever was upsetting you. You sacked up and grabbed that bull by the horns,slapped him on the ass and road him for all he was worth.Hopefully one of these days when I get to come home and stay home My family and I could head out there and visit your crew.Oh and us two skinny basturds can split a twinkie.LOL hang in there man.
Post a Comment