

Years ago I had gastric Bypass surgery and I lost over a 100 lbs. from it. The mistake that I made was that I believed that I could still eat "bad" food, just less of it. I did not take the time to study diet and nutrition since I went right back to working in the high stress world of sales and on the weekend as a DJ. Even though I was working out it does not help if your fat intake is still too high! Flash forward 6 years. My weight was creeping back up about 30 lbs. and I felt miserable! I just was not happy with my health. Around Easter I decided that I had had enough. I went and had a complete physical and a more extensive blood work done. The results were that besides the high blood pressure that I have always struggled with I also had bad cholesterol and a high insulin level. So I got myself into diet, nutrition spending a lot of time reading books like Sly Stallone's book on working out, The autobiography of Jared Fogle, the Subway guy who lost a lot of weight. Right now I am reading Carnie Wilson's first book on having Gastric Bypass surgery. I also find motivation from the Rocky (except #5) movies and I really enjoy working out at the gym. If I miss a workout at the gym I find myself in a bad mood and I am pretty mad at myself the rest of the day. When I get to the gym I stretch, say "hi" to anyone I know and then get to work! The iPod Shuffle is the best thing ever invented. I use to deal with bulky MP3 players or worse the big CD player but now I just clip on the iPod and turn on the workout tunes. I do not have time to socialize when working out. There is always some guy who wants to be the center of attention at the gym and talk to everyone but I am focused only on getting things done! I normally break up my workouts like this: Monday - Legs and Treadmill, Tuesday - Swimming, Wednesday - arms, shoulders and Treadmill, Thursday - Swimming and Friday - Chest, Back and Treadmill. I also like to find time go on bike rides mostly on Saturday mornings. My legs are the easist to work out and the most fun. My shoulders are theworst and I look like a little girl pumping the 5 and 10 lb dumbbell! It doesn't help that I hurt my shoulder a few months ago working out and that it still hurts! It is very motivating sharing my success with my friends on Facebook who have been very supportive. My diet is very simple, eat less and eat healthier food. I believe that by trying to cut out the fast and bad food and replacing it with more fiber from grains, fruits and vegetables. I have peanuts, fat free popcorn or high fiber crackers as a snack and my breakfast is a protein shake when I am working out or a high fiber cereal on my off days. I have also really gotten into fat free yogurt. I have tried to replace the "bad food" in the house with "good food". If the bad food is there I will eat it. Why? Because it is there. With time I will work on fine tuning my food intake but right now I am just making "lifestyle" changes. The bottom line is that I just want to be "healthy", not skinny. Sure, now and then the kids will want to go to Taco Bell or we will go out to eat but I just try to eat less and stop when I am satisfied, not full. I also find that I eat less then I did before and I try to drink a lot of water. Chipotle is still my biggest weakness but I only go every few weeks and I less rice in my burrito bowl and more beans. I also love to get a veggie sandwich from Subway. If you have any thoughts or ideas to help me in my quest please feel free to share them. So far I am down almost 40 lbs. I have to wear a belt to keep the pants up and I just bought a pair of pants for work that were a size smaller. Most importantly I feel so much better! I have a long way to go but I am seeing results and having fun!

No comments:
Post a Comment